Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My Playboy Problem

About a year ago, I bought 14 copies of 1960s and 1970s Playboy, which I found moldering on a shelf at my favorite second-hand shop, Tarrytown's Hank's Alley.



A few I haven't chopped up yet.

As I forked over a modest amount of green, Hank winked at me, "You'll make your money back on these, Honey."

See, at the time, I told Hank, "I'm gonna resell these on eBay." Until I did some online research, I thought I'd get a decent return, turning a $30 investment into $300+. A few minutes' search proved me wrong. Turns out, horny 1960s and 70s college boys did a fine job of squirreling their naughty stash away, and they all want to unload now (pun intended, I guess.)

As I flipped through my new purchase, I also discovered that about half of my new Playboy collection was literally moldering, torn and water-damaged.

After giggling and eye-rolling my way through the lot, I put a profitable plan into action.

I've made shrines to Playboy's classic Vargas Girls...
"What kind of peace did you have in mind, Mr. Smith?" SOLD

...game boxes full of mischief...
I think the lambskin rug gives this box the right kind of sleezy swinging feel. SOLD


...and briefcases that bite the hand that feeds it.
Interestingly, not sold...Learn more about this case here.
I'll gladly make a deal to get it out of my life and into yours...

I turned these kitschy coasters...


...into these kitschy coasters.
Again, SOLD.
"Uh-huh, uh-huh...and the problem is...?"

Well, last night, while prepping for Philly's Punk Rock Flea Market on June 7 (be there!), I hit a snag...

I was again making coasters--because Small Things Sell--upcycling thrift shop and church sale tins of coasters...

...like these: $.75 at Goodwill...
...and these, $3 for the lot at The Cherry Door. I can't possibly use all of these,
so if you're ever walking down Main Street in Tarrytown and you feel
something lightly thwap! the back of your head, worry not--
it's just me practicing my frisbee skills.
Then, the snag: this set, bought for $3 from Union Pocantico Church Spring Sale.



See the problem?

At first glance, I only thought, "Metal. Nice. Cheap(ish). BUY!" When I flipped the canister over last night, I felt my first small shock: $65 for coasters? I mean, I know this was donated to one of the richest churches in America, but, uh, $65...?


Alan Chan Creations: "Rediscovery of cultural art for contemporary life style."
Yeah, fair enough. But $65?
 So, I opened the tin, laying the truth bare. (again, pun intended)


Mr. Chan, you dirty, dirty dog. 


Is that 1st base or 2nd?


On the mat


In the forest


I don't know...in the bath?


Is she gouging out his eye? Ugh. Different strokes...

As I looked Mr. Chan's upcycled images over, things became clear in my mind: "Ah, so this is what you get for a former 1960s Playboy reader!"
 
And things became unclear: "Should I cover these ancient smut scenes with merely vintage cheesecake?" 

So, that's my problem. For now, I'm covering the cardboard coasters, but I want at least one more tin of metal coasters for Philly.


Am I alone in thinking that these young women, with their unaltered bodies and their playful expressions are more attractive and innocent than what I see in today's average music video (not to mention what's available in the ancient scroll art scene)? 

Can you help a Badger out, dear Readers?

If you have any tins of metal coasters featuring teddy bears or Precious Moments, I'll trade you for my set of "cultural art for contemporary style," you dirty dog.


copyright 2015, Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment