Thursday, September 26, 2013

Where To Take The Excess, pt. 1: The Cherry Door






Are You About To Curb Something? Read this first.


If you live in Tarrytown, NY, you've passed this door on Main Street, oh...a lot. Maybe you haven't gone inside. Here are a few reasons why you should.

1. The Stuff is Good

Please don't go in expecting to find couture. Cherry Door specializes in Things You Actually Use.

I particularly like the store's nice wooden furniture, which they sell for prices only slightly higher than a bargain yard sale.

Better yet, if you ask nicely, the manager with the great French accent, Dominique Picon, will drop the price of an item that you may be on the fence about. The man does not believe in letting dust gather on these goodies.

2. The Stuff Is Sorta Random

After seeing the Julie & Julia scene in which Meryl Streep's Julia Child raves about the superior edge of carbon steel knives, I decided to get some for my husband, who likes to sharpen knives. (He's a genuine Mountain Man, my husband.)

After searching around for two years, I finally found two carbon steel carvers in The Cherry Door's front case, next to the better jewelry. Eh, go figure. Anyway, $5 well spent, I say.

If it's your first time there, just wander and get to know the place. Reviewers, of which there are too few, rightly note, "A bit hard to navigate, but that's part of its charm!" 


True: It keeps the Hunter-Gatherer part of my brain satisfied.

Make a point of riffling through the Metro rack in the back room, the one stacked with fabrics.

Once, I found four 1960s cafe curtains that featured a little farmer girl. She looked exactly like the daughter of one of my best mama friends. It made a heck of a gift, even though the girl remained both unimpressed by my one-of-a-kind discovery and unconvinced of her resemblance to the illustration. (They're Doppelgangers, I swear.)







Taken last week--only $20!

Also, for the adventurous fashion maven, seek out The Cherry Door's dresses and relive memories of Thanksgiving, 1971....Only, now, you're the Mom.


















3. I Drop Stuff There All The Time

Don't panic! I mean "donate," not actually drop.

Once, I saw a conversation thread on Jenifer Ross' Facebook page 10591 about record players. A man asked where to get one, and several folks responded, "At The Cherry Door."

Know why they were right? Yes! Because I drop stuff off there all the time, including 4 record players I found during the last year. (Wait, maybe I gave that answer away in the category title...)

(btw: 10591 is NOT a "closed group"; you can still join. And if you're an entrepreneur, you should join Ross' W@tercooler, too.)


And, Did You Know?

The Cherry Door is a non-profit thrift store. Your purchases help support Phelps Hospital, just up the road from Tarrytown on Route 9.

It's my favorite place to go when I Do Something Wrong and need stitches.


So, Ready To Make a Donation?

They Want:
China
Silverware
Kitchen goodies (pots, servers, dishes, gadgets that work)
Linens and Fabrics (good quality)
Craft Supplies (unused)
Furniture
Lamps
Electronics (...that work; Dominique was very kind when I brought him a TV sporting a Post-It that shouted, "WORKS," even though its cord had been cut off. He knew it wasn't mine.)
Artworks
Accessories
Souvenirs
Books
Music
Movies

They Don't Want:
Lots of Kids Toys
Lots of Regular Clothing for men, women, and children
Stuff that Doesn't Work


"What should I do with the Stuff Cherry Door doesn't want?" You ask.
I answer, "Next time, my four dear Readers. Next time...."


The Cherry Door
36 Main St, Tarrytown, NY10591
Accessibility Details: The entrance is at level with the sidewalk.
Hours: Tue - Sat, 11am - 4pm;
Sun, Mon, closed


Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier

6 comments:

  1. I love the Cherry Door, however, I have learned never to ask for a lower price. They do not haggle over there. It is fun to read about places I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't evn TRY to ask the volunteers! No no no...only Dominique.

      Delete
  2. there are more than four of us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies, Sir Derek.
      Seven. ;)
      We few, we happy few...

      Delete
  3. Can't wait for your next post! I'm purging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My van is empty right now if you need someone to take your stuff away... ;)

      Delete