Friday, May 15, 2015

The Kindness of Strangers

Business first: The Happy Badger and FREEload Apparel will be proudly serving up our uniquely tasty goods In Philadelphia at the Trenton Avenue Arts Festival, TOMORROW, May 16. Come on by!



So, Spring has finally arrived in New York, in true New Yorker style--late, abrupt, and so vehement that I want to shout, "Why are YOU mad at ME?"

Q: Are We Not Birdies? A: We Are Robins!
C'mon, Devo fans, help me out.

Along with the springtime explosion of blooms come the songs of baby robins, the annoyance of pollen-caked cars, and the compulsion to throw out perfectly good stuff...and thus, my compulsion to drive around at night and pick it up to re-sell or donate.  Ah, the circle of life.

No re-selling or donating the T. Rex. It is mine, and I play it in the Basement Den.
Last week, however, I had a novel experience.

A stranger left a message on my phone: "Hi, this is Marilyn. Laura, at the Greenburgh Library, told me that you have a business--something about a badger?--and that you would like some of my old LIFE Magazines and comic books...."

Lady, would I!

I called Marilyn to set up a time and place (always Coffee Labs on Main Street, Tarrytown!) and warned her that she was looking for a 40-something, 6-foot tall Arab American woman with short black hair.  She gave a startled laugh, "Oh, well, I'll be with my friend, Marge. We're much older and much smaller!"


Always safer to travel in pairs when meeting a badger. Aren't they adorable?
(Marilyn is wearing blue)
 And they were, in the sweetest possible ways.

Marilyn, I can read your political stance like a boo--well,
like a magazine. And I approve!

Marilyn's J. Jill bag contained a small treasure of comics, newspapers, and weekly magazines.


She has a boy and a girl, all grown up. Before I slice and dice these,
I'll let the older Badgerette read these 1970s classics...
and I'll probably let her squirrel one or two away from my grubby little paws.
And, as you see, we are not longer between cats...
 There was even a little pile of goodies for The Man.


He's never going to outgrow this stuff.
One comic in particular caught my eye.

Marvel Comics: Where Creatures Roam #5, 1970.
This comic graduated high school two years before I did.

Gorgilla is going to make one fine cigar box--check out the red guy's movie camera!

Marilyn--you doll who wouldn't even let me buy you and Marge coffees in exchange for these lovelies--Thank You.

And Librarian Laura, 25% off your next purchase for the referral!

SILENCE, Ingrate! All gifts please The Happy Badger.

Copyright 2015, Tanya Monier





2 comments:

  1. That is so great! What an excellent referral! You lucked out with an awesome stash, and Marilyn and her friend looked lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They're swanky in an effortless way. Did you hapen to see how super Gorgilla turned out?

      Delete