Monday, May 25, 2015

The Mommy of Invention: Prepping for Philly's Punk Rock Flea Market

According to my partner in craft, Jonelle Greene of FREEload Apparel, we will have tightly limited space for our next craft fair on June 7 in Philadelphia, so I've got to think about what really sells.

And like I said last time, what sold most is the Small Stuff, aka MAGNETS.

A tiny land of treasure, just waiting to be made magnetic

So, this Memorial Day Weekend, while friends go camping or visit the Statue of Liberty with the kids, I'm home with two suddenly coughing and feverish Badgerettes, slicing up anything punk rock and sticking it to glass between soup-making and temperature-taking.

Let's take a quick tour, shall we?


For this project, you will need strong glue, paper, glass, magnets, and enough sitting time to develop your first bedsores.

I have the legendary frontmen and women all ready to go...plus one evil impresario, Kim Fowley (top row, center)
If you haven't seen Michael Shannon play Kim Fowley in The Runaways, put that movie on your list!
If you're wondering about Iggy Pop, I've got several. Weirdly, no one bought them at the street fair.
I'm in love with big magnets and with magnet sets right now.
The Kinks, 2" x 3"


Culture Club, .75" x 2" pieces


The only band that matters: The Clash. Paul Simonon, I love you!

Dead Kennedys. Hello, Jello.

U2. Eh, it'll probably sell.

The Beatles. All from the same photo, but the photographer clearly favored Paul.

Black Sabbath. Not my thing, but if it's yours, it's all yours.

Nirvana.
Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention

BB King, RIP. 2" x 3"
Thank you, Rolling Stone and MOJO magazines for favoring one-inch sized pics of album covers. I happen to have a ton of one-inch sized glass pieces...

Eh, voila!
 I'm ready for the nostalgia lovers, too, with my 1953 Romance Comics magnets.
1. "I don't even know how to be a wife!"
2. "Oh, Don, I have to know...do you really love me?"
both 2" x 3"

Get a room, People!
2" x 3"

1."Oh, I don't want to be afraid! I don't want to be lonely all my life! But...
but I'm so afraid of being hurt again!"
2. "Even when he kissed me...he was thing of her...!"
Been there, Sisters. It gets better.
2" x 3"

"We almost did marry years ago! We were very much in love!
Remember, Lillian? We had it bad!"
Just look at that narcissistic bum, so proud of actually remembering effing up a sweet girl's life!
2" x 3"

Oh, Roy Litchtenstein, I'm afraid we've gone full circle.
 Comic book fans should be satisfied with my new pieces...

Trekkies, classic and New Generation, should also walk away happy...
Look closely, Sex and the City fans--that's Kim Cattrall behind red-suited Spock.

You know which one of these is going to sell first?

This one! Tribbles rule!

I've even chopped up a Cheerios box (special edition at Target) for the just-right-for-magnet-making Star Wars pics.


As you can tell, I'm not taking the term Punk Rock too literally. "Something for Everyone!" I say.


See? I told you Gorgilla would make a great cigar box!


And let's be honest: nothing is more punk rock than stowing away on a cargo boat, crashing a Yankees game (top and bottom panels on the box) and climbing the Empire State Building (inside panels). Gorgilla, I salute you! 

I'm praying that Everyone will buy these, so I won't have to take them home again. Boxes of glass magnets are hella heavy, man....

Copyright 2015, Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment