Tuesday, February 10, 2015

All The Right Junk In All The Right Places: Apple and W Antiques

Thrift shops. "Junk" shops. Yard sales and church sales. My overcrowded basement.

All of these places light up the Hunter-Gatherer parts of my brain, give me an endorphin buzz...well, my basement less so than the others. (If you're like me, you'd get the charge from my basement. I sometimes feel guilty that the mess depresses even my Prince of the Forest).

This is an upstairs workspace, NOT the basement.
I'll leave it to you to imagine the basement.
So, when I find a store that is as crowded as my basement, only it's jammed with treasures, I've gotta share.

The place is 342 Lexington Ave, in Mount Kisco, New York. This address houses both W Antiques and Apple Antiques, which proudly sell, buy, auction, and consign some astonishing stuff. Let's take a wander through, shall we?
Sinbad pinball machine. Sold, darn it.

Just because I'm not into rococo doesn't mean I can't appreciate this bowl.

This is what happens when you let the palace dragons roll around on the grass.

Mid-century lovers, come on down!

I don't know...frostbitten toes?

Every single display is like a page from I Spy

Note the whale on the floor, Melville fans.

Everything is good and bad.

Someone gave up an extensive masks-of-the-world collection.

I swear I saw this in the design section of the Met. And I want it.

Know any fencing fans?

Stay tuned: there are religious statues everywhere in this building.

I couldn't get past these bags, but I wanted to show you
that every single aisle is packed with goodness.

Not your average sideboard.

Get all the respect of a lifelong tiny shipmaker without any of the glue fumes.

Seriously, is that a Remington?

Shiva: again, everything is good and bad.
Is that Mary with a sword? Or Joan of Arc?
Either way, reminds me of Jesuses I Have Saved From The Trash.

A few more mid-century prizes...


Nice dresser. The lamps--a rarer find.

Antique doll stroller.

I should probably object to these 4 mink coats, but they are so soft...


I think this should be Pharrell's new look.

Well, you missed out on Sinbad, but just think of what else you could find in this place!
There's a massive upstairs, too, but when I stopped by to take these pictures, it was too crowded to enter...and that's saying something. You gotta go.

W Antiques and Apple Antiques
342 Lexington Avenue
Mt. Kisco, NY 10549 
914-241-3000 (W)
914-242-5365 (Apple)
www.wantiques.com  


Copyright 2015, Tanya Monier

1 comment: