Monday, February 2, 2015

Littlest Sweat Shop, pt. 1

So, it looks like this outside...has for weeks now. Locals in their right mind (happily, most people) are not putting their valuable "trash" on the curb for this Badger to collect and resell.


I'm fine with this. Now is not the time for curb shopping. Now is time to settle in to the corner of the sofa and get crafting.
Coffee is essential safety equipment.
 I have a name for this area: Littlest Sweat Shop. 

Need I remind you that you enter at your own risk?

"Not funny!" you declare? "Sweatshops are a blight on our post-industrial world!"
The first time I made that joke, Barbara refused to take her
hands off her eyes...so I glued her to a cookie tin. (see below)
I can only justify myself by reminding the reader of an undeniable truth:

Like Crime, Craft Does Not Pay.

During the last week, I have scrutinized nearly everything in my home for its crafty potential. My husband gently steps away when he sees me stalking around with murder--I mean Mod Podge...oh, well, same thing--on my mind.


1966 Life Magazine + Big Cookie Tin
+ Olaf Photobomb = Good times!
 No cigar box is safe in my home. I will superhero the heck out of anything that crosses my path.
These Marvel superheroes are not the only ones on the warpath. SOLD
I like DC Comics, but you gotta admit that Marvel delivers variety
 I removed all the light switch covers from the basement to make these beauties.

 On Facebook, some have attracted more attention than others.
That lightswitch is going to poke out of his thigh, you dirty-minded people.

And I don't want to hear any more about where a flipped-up switch will look like it's going
...she's an Amazon, Friends! She can handle the situation. 

Busted old frames have been reborn.
"Heroes And"...your kid's face? A mirror? I done good, right? SOLD

I love my Wonder Woman. Check out how her hair dips in to the inner frame space.
Not For Sale

It will be. It will be fine, I promise.

Even glassware isn't safe in my home these days.

Fill with medicine of your own choice!
SOLD
Put in a tea candle and make a prayer.
Upcycled Long Island Iced Tea glass: "Welcome To My Nightmare." I want it to be a votive for some jaded young thing.
I guess you could put pencils in it.

You have no idea how hard this was to put together.

That's right, Friends: just like the Wonder Woman, you can rise above.

1980s Wonder Woman dealt with all kinds of emotional issues, even the jealous MIL: "It means I WON, doesn't it? He loved me, and he did not love them!"
She's going to be a real joy at the old people's home.
(Mini-votive) 
Wonder Woman is no Dr. Phil (which is good in so many ways), but she's plenty wise: "No wonder he stopped visiting her. I believe her love came at a price....And yet, she did the best she could."
Come on--there's got to be a market for this one!

My most OCD moment came when I took a church sale find--a set of wooden nesting boxes--and turned them into The Avengers...arranged by size.

See Hawkeye? Yeah, he's crouching by Black Widow. I'm not a fan.  SOLD
The underside of each one is equally fabulous.
I'm getting the hang of carving with an X-acto knife. Hulk was busting through a page of words.
Now, he's busting through this box (on both sides!) 
It's difficult, but I love wrapping an image around corners.

Then, it struck me: Why stop with fictional superheroes? Muhammad Ali was smarter and far more animated than most comics.

My Brother Ali

See what I mean? I love him.

You would not BELIEVE the ads in Boxing Illustrated.
Their readers clearly have issues with their, um, light switches.

A Badger does, too; but now is not that time.

Classic Barbara Streisand, too, deserves superhero status.
SOLD, thank you!

"Stricken with phenomenal success at 23..."
Look at LIFE sneak in a modest cleavage shot, so naughty.

The SUIT! The HAT!

"The audience should yell bravo--or boo."
You know when I booed Barbara? When she took over Philosophy Hall at
Columbia University to make that lame The Mirror Has Two Faces
....We students had to enter from the basement for weeks, grrrr.
I won the "Most Likely To Bitch About Barbara" award, and I earned it.


I have more Littlest Sweat Shop creations to show...and SELL! Stay tuned...



copyright 2015, Tanya Monier

2 comments:

  1. I think your next step will have to be spending time on internet blog marketing. This blog should be famous! (And generate $$$$$$)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great and terrifying, Chrissy! Do I have to put ads all over?

    ReplyDelete