Friday, December 20, 2013

Phoning It In: Project Updates

A Happy Badger is a busy badger, and whooo-wee am I busy. You are, too, I'm sure, so I'll keep this short.

I wanted to add a few updates to past projects, which I wrote about before finishing or having photos ready.

"We're Playing With Broken Glass!"

The jewelry rack and mirror--which we made out of an antique straight-backed chair, a busted hallway mirror, and lotsa hot glue--is all finished now. A few abandoned brass key hooks and brass drawer pulls have a new life as jewelry hooks.

"Is it for sale?" you ask with baited breath. Why, yes, it is....

"Why I Do Things Wrong: 3 Examples"

You may remember this post, you may not. It's funny, and worth (re)reading.

Anyway, I mentioned sticking a chisel, exactly like this one in fact, into my wrist while removing a tattered veneer from my first renovation project, an antique vanity table.

A few Sacramento Friends remembered the vanity table, but the rest of you loyal readers (all seven of you, and I cannot express how much I love you) might want to see the piece and decide for yourself if my blood was well spent.




So, Here It Is!

 Ya like? Ya like?
 
 
Which drawer is real and which is Memorex?
 
Real English walnut:



Mahogany veneer, painted to look like walnut, maybe:
 
Today, my mom mistook the painted one for the real, which is like an early Christmas gift for me.
 
Then, she demanded, "So, when are you getting this thing out of our house?" Sigh, brief Christmas this year.

Any takers?

Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier

3 comments:

  1. That vanity is gorgeous. Up way too late pinning ideas of a kid's table on Pinterest. Thought I'd pop-in for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this post as well as your most recent post. I am glad I wondered what happened to you and checked in. I have wanted a vanity my entire life. My grandmother still has hers from when she was a child, and I have many happy memories sitting at it. Unfortunately, there is no room in my bedroom for a vanity since I bought my wardrobe. sigh. I guess we all have to make choices in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Jessica, happy new year! I'm so glad you like the bookmark, too. I love vanity tables, but they really do harken back to a time when people had fewer possessions. Personally, I have two gorgeous dressers, one from Hank's Alley and one that my parents and I fixed up when I was about 23. Shipped that right across the country. I wish I had space for that vanity, too; I fear that it may disappear between visits.

      Delete