Thursday, December 5, 2013

Where To Take The Excess, pt. 4: C & W Vacuum Repair Service

As I muddled my way through neighborhoods this fall, I noticed something undeniable: Folks throw away a lot of cleaning tools. Swiffers. Brooms, Mops. (Doesn't anyone play stickball with broom and mop handles anymore?) Cleaning pails. Vacuums. Oh, so many vacuums....

One evening, I saw four curbed vacuums on just one street, then came home to see my own tenant had put his one-month-old vacuum in the trash, too.

You may be thinking, "So what? Why not just buy a new Hoover for $100?" Other than the fact that their motors are so earsplitting that children, pets, and partners flee when you turn on a Hoover, it breaks! The brands I see curbed most often are Hoover and Dirt Devil. Humph. It's like the dead dictator of the FBI and Satan himself hold stock in landfill.

Who can help slow down this, ahem, sucky trend in trash? Wade, that's who!

Meet Wade!
On Tarrytown's bustling Main Street, C&W Vacuum Repair Service is easy to miss. I passed it hundreds of times before I found a need to stop in. Once I did, however, I made reasons to go back. Here's why:


1. Price: Wade informs me that the average repair job at C&W is between $50-75. That said, I have never paid more than $30 to have him clean and repair my vacuum, a 2003 Panasonic upright--which is ancient in vacuum years, and frequently clogged with the shed of my three longhairs (none of whom are pets).

2. Speed: Wade works quickly, so I can get back to doing what I love: cleaning house. (Excuse me for a minute while I go pour myself a shot of cooking sherry and weep...)

3. Variety: Do you see vacuums in the front window? No! That's because Wade is a man of many talents. He sharpens knives to a murderous edge, repairs and sells vacuums and vacuum parts, and also lamps,

 Buy the Rooster; then send me a photo of it in your home.


radios,


turntables,



and clocks.















and maybe those toys; I didn't ask.


And his use of wall storage in this small store would make Ikea proud. When you go in, just look around--and up!
 You are not imagining things: that IS a bullwhip.



I gave Wade my tenant's new-but-busted Dirt Devil, and picked up lamp harps to finish my Night Of A Thousand Lamps project.
 Win-Win, I say.


So, keep it local, River Towners, and if you just cannot bear the thought of repairing your vacuum, turntable, or lamp, DON'T DUMP IT. Give it to Wade. He's got Hustle. And I mean that as a compliment.



Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier

1 comment:

  1. I raise a glass of sherry to you, my dear! Too funny. Hey, maybe Wade could use some of your lampshades?

    ReplyDelete