Friday, January 10, 2014

DIY: Silver Platter Magnet and Chalk Board

Ugh, Vacation Hibernation. Got back from California days ago, but somehow I'm still radically jet-lagged. I'm not just on California time: I'm on Hawaii time.

I have had such a productive trip, too, that my ambition is to write a brilliant novella for you, modestly titled, "What I Did on My Winter Break."

Must begin somewhere, however, so let's do a quick DIY.

For this project, you will need the following:

One magnetized serving tray (suggestion: Take a magnet with you to a thrift store)
Chalkboard paint
Sponge brush
Metal sand paper
Hand drill...or, in this case, a lathe with drill bit
Clamps, to hold tray to work surface
Grain alcohol and a cotton pad

2 feet, or so, strong ribbon, ideally velvet

Step 1:

Mark out 2 spots, about 3 inches apart, to drill holes for ribbon to loop through and hang.

Step 2:

Drill holes.


Mountain Dan, aka the Prince of the Forest, was delighted to use his lathe--a pre-parenthood extravagance, dontcha know--to drill these holes for me. If you live in the Tri-State area and want to make the drive to our place, he'll take care of this step for your project, too. Otherwise, he recommends the following:

* Clamp the tray on two sides (not the ones you want to drill) to a solid work surface.
* Put on some protective eyewear--metal shards!
* Drill, Baby, Drill 

Upaid plug for 3M Wet or Dry Paper. Works!
 

Step 3:

Rub area you will paint with fine grit metal sand paper. (If you use regular sand paper, or rough grit, you will rip up the metal surface; I have no idea how that will affect the outcome, so you are on your own, Friend, if you take that path).

Wash the magnetized tray thoroughly, then rub with alcohol pad to increase paint adherence.

Step 4:

Paint 2 or 3 coats of chalkboard paint on sanded area of tray. Follow directions. Give it time to dry, etc....

Step 5:

Lace ribbon through holes. Tie bow or whatever.
Hang!

I didn't know how well the chalkboard paint would work, but it's great!

I love the finished product. You will, too if you make one...or buy mine. Please.

Copyright 2014 (WHAT? Already??) Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment