Monday, December 2, 2013

Night of a Thousand Lamps

I ate nothing but cold leftover stuffing this weekend, so focused was I on turning our basement into Santa's Shady Sub-Contracting Workshop.

Many, many delightful creations are taking form, so that I may have enough cuteness to sell at a local craft sale this Friday. More on these later.

I've discussed recently the disturbing uptick in lamp shade piles around my home and basement. Something needed to be done.

Last week, I sold this pretty gold pedestal table, which I found on a curb during a family day trip to NYC, to an aspiring music producer.

As per usual, I asked if he needed anything else for his studio.

"ANYTHING brass, gold, black, I'm in," he replied.

"Oh, man, I have some lamps for you..." I laughed.

I sent him these pics.
Lemme tell ya, I got good instincts.
He got all happy and gave me the go-ahead.
















Both lamps needed rewiring, which involves cutting things.

Without my dear hubby, I'd probably have just cut through the webbing of my finger again (yes, again; I clearly am developing a phobia) and called it a night.

 
Dan (The Man) did the following to repair each lamp:
1. snipped off the old, torn-up wires;
2. stripped about 1/2 inch of insulation off the old wire and the new piece to be spliced;
3. matched the wires (look for the ridge on the edge of one insulated side of the wire and match it to the ridge on the new wire's insulation--just feel a lamp wire, you'll get what I mean);
4. twisted them together and screwed on little plastic caps;
5. wrapped black electrical tape around the repair.

The End. Fifteen minutes. The Man is a lamp repair master.

The rest of the repairs were easy for me--new shade harps and bulbs, and a thorough cleaning. BONUS! I got to use one of my lamp shade finds--a broad, oval linen shade--on the smaller lamp. Only 27 more wayward shades to go....

And here they are, ready to add some 70s funkification to a Westchester recording studio.

 
 
"Jungle Boogie," anyone?

Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment