Monday, November 18, 2013

Let There Be Light...Shades

Visiting my family in Sacramento this summer, I tried to explain to my parents the most recent shift in my Careen....I know I should say career, but I aim for honesty.

My dad--bemused, bewildered, and baffled--summed it up like this: "So, I sent you to become a professor of literature at Columbia, and now you're a second-hand clothing and junk dealer?"

My mom, who was always less worried about my abandoned academic lifestyle, responded only to the issue of the piled-up hell that I've turned my basement and "children's playroom" into: "Honey, I think you have a problem."

They may be right.

This weekend, I realized something that I had not noticed over the past year.

My home is overrun with light shades.

I acknowledge that I have been picking them up all year from curbs and from sales, but as the wise ones say, "Seeing is a choice."

And this is what I now see...

 They've claimed a laundry basket.
 
 They're lounging all over the basement...
 
Bums, just sitting around on my chairs.
 
 
They appear to be breeding...and tiny mutants are showing up.
 
 Some are wily and cannot be contained.
 
 One has even snuck into my closet...
and it appears to be guarding a vintage Shirley Temple doll.
 
What should I do with these hollow, aimless jellyfish? I open the floor for discussion....
 
 
Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You could make them into the most unique hats ever. You would become a famous haberdasher, and people would fight over which of your creations they would wear to the Kentucky Derby or a British wedding. Would your parents find that a more acceptable use of your Ivy League degree? Probably not. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cover them with thrift store dresses like you used for the blue chair and SELL them. I recommend "Yes!" glue if you can find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beja, Mama, you gotta write me a post! Thanks for the tip on the new glue brand. I've found use for two of these bum shades, by the way. I'll be posting soon...

      Delete