Monday, October 7, 2013

Why I Am Not An Accountant


 


First of all, I feel the need to confess something.
 

Folks may be thinking that "Playdate 2013," our family's springtime trip to Europe, was a 5-star experience. In fact, it was the equivalent of Couch Surfing For Four.
 
I did keep records of how much I sold--enough for airfare and car rental.  
 
I did not keep records of how much I spent--on gas, time...and the loss of our minivan, God Bless America.
There'll never be another like her, I swear.
If you missed the story of her demise, read "Landfill" for a laugh.

If I did, I am sure that I'd discover the bitter truth: I probably lost way more than $10,000, which is actually just the out-of-pocket we had to pay for our "new" minivan, Snowflake.

Snowflake has not been not a worry-free vehicle.
You can still follow her June Explosion oil trail around Tarrytown.

So, learn this lesson, now, potential Curb Shoppers:
 
Accounting has no place in the Curb-Shopping Game. 
 
If you heed the Call of The Curb, good on ya. There are worse addictions--I mean vocations--than finding functional, curbed items a new home.
 
 
Go on--tell me you wouldn't love to be the one to make a young couple like this one smile.

And if you want to go on a trip, make it happen. It's more important to spoil ourselves with experiences than with things.


I gotta deliver bags of clothes to Goodwill and Christ Episcopal Church before my kid gets home.


Oh, and hit the bank. I might be the only citizen in Westchester who is delighted by a $120 Jury Duty payment.


That pretty little check will pay for a couple modest family dinners in Cornwall during Playdate 2014.

Dinner! Cornish Pasty

Small steps, small steps....


Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier





No comments:

Post a Comment