Monday, October 21, 2013

The Happy Badger Wants to Dress You Up

I like dressy, high-end clothes...just not on me. I prefer my orthotic-friendly New Balance sneakers, jeans, and knit top, for The Iron is my enemy.

Still, I love browsing through Vogue, Vanity Fair, and In Style, especially during the mind-numbing wait at the pediatrician's office. At some point during those foggy-brained, chaotic years of early motherhood, the names of designers and their take on trends started to stick. As a grad student and teacher, I could quote Sedgewick, Foucault, and Benjamin. As a newish mommy, I suddenly found myself able to recognize the difference between a McQueen, a Rodarte, and a Marchesa. There has to be a positive application for these skills, right?


Alexander McQueen, Rhombic Floral Print Jersey Dress

image by francois dischinger / courtesy of marchesa for style.com
McQueen, Marchesa (Jeez, lady, why so serious?), Rodarte.
Have I ever found one of these? NO! Would I tell you if I did? Heck yeah!

Of course, the only fashion stores I go to these days are Goodwill and other non-profit thrift stores like Alpha in Goleta, California. In a thrift store, I pride myself on two things:

1. My ability to flip back collars and read brand name tags faster than the average human
2. My eye for what looks good on the women I know

Yeah, I unnerved a few friends at the preschool when I sidled up to them and muttered, "You know, I found a dress that would look great on you." But then they tried them on, and they were astonished that I got it right.

I was as amazed by these gifts as anyone, especially my mother, who has impeccable taste and tailoring and who has long despaired that I lacked the fashion gene.

When I go into a store like Goodwill, I have at most an hour to spend and literally hundreds of items to puruse. I like that kind of challenge.

First up, I look for a sign indicating which category of items might have a further price reduction. Secondly, I take to the racks, sometimes with hands extended a la Tony Shalhoub's famous obsessive-compulsive detective, Monk, seeking out a print or fabric that says, "Quality."

Ah, "Mr. Monk and the Actor," classic.

It's not that easy to find the vintage Valentino, the BCBG, the Von Furstenburg squished between the Moschino for Target, the Old Navy, the Faded Glory. Every time I'm lured by a pretty print, only to discover a Dressbarn tag, I choke back a sob of despair that I will never get the hang of this game.

All in all, though, it's ridiculously fun to dress my friends in something fabulous on the seriously cheap. I was mighty pleased to see that Gina, a good mama friend and "In the Mouse House" blogger, wrote me up in a post.


Ah, another satisfied customer!


As I always say, Don't judge me by how I dress; judge me by how I dress you.

Vintage! Available to a good home!



Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment