Monday, October 28, 2013

Eh, I give up, pt. 1: Dining Chair Bench Bamm-Bamm

Last year, one of my Santa Barbara friends--let's call her Mama Beja (Hey there, Mama!)--Facebook-posted a genius idea from Pinterest: garden benches made out of old dining chairs.


Audrey Rush, on Pinterest, has more great Garden Furniture pins!


 
Moments when the project still seemed doable
Thanks to my worst tenant ever, who left many vanloads of stuff behind when she finally moved out, I happened to have four busted wicker-seat dining chairs in the attic. One afternoon this summer, I got ambitious and broke down the chairs to use as a frame for the bench.

Despite old glue, this task was harder than I expected, so I pulled out a saw, a claw-head hammer, and a mallet to help me out.

Holy heck! I felt GREAT banging away at these chairs. I annoyed half the street with an hour or so of "Bang-bang! WHAM! Bang-craaaack-BAM!" I did not care. I finally understood how blissed out The Flinstones kid, Bamm-Bamm, feels when he's doing his noisy, aggravating thing.

 


Just imagine black, curly hair and add a tie-dye T-shirt and you'll be seeing me! (Image from fanpop.com.)




Then, a little too much like Bamm-Bamm, I got carried away and broke the frames to pieces.

I still thought I could do something involving a lot of glue to salvage the project, but I was in denial. A few weeks later, my husband shook his head in silent dismay. With the rest of the trash on the curb, he dropped the broken chair carcasses, which looked way worse than the pictures here. (I stopped taking photos after I cracked a couple legs.)

Guess I had a lot of lousy tenant anger to work out on those poor chairs.





But, worry not, Folks! This is Westchester, so I found three more fabulous chairs on the same day that I found Lady Giraffe.

 
I'll try not to go to town on these three....

 
 
 

 Copyright 2013, Tanya Monier



 

 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that's too bad. My 'chairs to become a bench' are patiently waiting in the garage for me to finish the boys' desks. They are at the front of the line where the mahagony butler's table also waits. And here I am typing away, like I don't have those projects and a Halloween costume to finish!

    Anyway, for the next bench, I suggest trying the green bench example first; only removing the seats, and only if you must. I can clarify further at another time. I really do need to finish that Halloween costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama, you are both kind and wise. After Halloween, you have to write a guest post, ok?

    ReplyDelete