Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Well, It's Storytime Once Again...

My sweet little Arabic Mama always told me that I was a great talker, a born storyteller.

Baby Badger and Mom. Aren't 70s fashions adorable?




















True, the times she told me this was when I'd perch on the kitchen counter, chattering away to keep her company...rather than helping her make dinner. Still, I took her words as a compliment.

And God knows I've collected some great stories during decades as a Death Rocker, European backpacker, teacher, Mom, and curb-shopper.

As with the clothing upcycling and crafting, however, I've come to realize that I shouldn't force my friends to listen to my endless prattle any more than I should force them to buy my wares. What I need for my stories is an outlet, like Heather Reid's brilliant Tarrytown boutique, Trilogy Consignment.

Least year, Tarrytown's own Zak Shusterman and Ivy Eisenberg came to the same realization and leaped into action, creating a sweet local spin on PRX's genius first-person, "True as remembered by the tellers" radio show The Moth:

Pros(e) of Pie 

Finally, here's an audience that's willing to cheer on this town's adorably shameless storytellers. Plus, each monthly event is also a pie competition, so for the price of admission, you get all sugared up, too!

Since this is MY blog, I'm going to get adorably shameless right now and send you to Youtube to see a couple of my Pros(e) of Pie stories: a hilarious and horrific introduction to life in NYC, and a Halloween dance among the broken, beautiful "undead" teens of the 1980s Sacramento club scene.

You see, it all started when I forced my mama to make me this very red velvet cape...
When's the next brilliant night of homemade goodness, you ask?

TONIGHT! And it's a good one, too--Halloween Stories at the Chapel of the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Here: follow this link, get a ticket, and I'll see you in the audience tonight.


Copyright 2014, Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment