Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Kitschy Cool Lamp

Autumn is The Season of the Sale. 

Church salesConsignment shop sales. Yard sales.

It's the most wonderful time of the year...to find a deal.

I picked up a classic 70s hanging lamp at a sale a month ago in North White Plains. The Gen Xer running the sale could not have been happier to get rid of it: "It was my father-in-law's...." I bet it was.

He wanted $2, but he smilingly took my $1.

"It works, too," he bragged. "You can just go home and hang it up!"

Um, noooo, but thank you. I had other plans for my very own set item from Three's Company.

First, I stripped out all the electrical parts and put them in a clear gallon baggie (I always lose parts, so the clear bag gives me a fighting chance to find them again), so I could get down to the lamp's skeleton. I envision it in a 1979 Denver condo, don't you?

For a day or two, I contemplated taking a can of gold or white spray paint to the chain to perk it up. After wrecking two spray paint projects in two days, however, I wised up and went to the Home Depot for a white chain and lamp cord set. $14, ugh. At that moment, Mrs. Roper's favorite lamp stopped being a $1 goof project and officially became an "investment."

I used to be a perfectionist. I'd use paint stripper on every project, then sand, then prime, then paint, then sand between coats, then paint again. When I explained my method to the guys who work at Wallauer's, they suggested that I might be in overkill mode.

Now, I do things their way: I give all surfaces to be painted a thorough go-over with 180 grit paper, then clean off ALL the dust. (From the file "I Do It Wrong So You Don't Have To": do not mess with the dust cleaning part, or you will eventually see your pretty paint job magically crumple and lift away from the inner corners of your project.) Anyway, I don't mind not following my old method. I get fewer paint remover burns (Yeee-ouch!) and I get to the fun part, painting, sooner.

Early this summer, a friend asked me to paint some of her furniture a vivid fuchsia. The Wallauer's crew gladly built a custom color for me, using Benjamin Moore paint, but the price was steep: $24 for a quart. My friend didn't like their result, but I did. So I kept the can.

Just warning you: I plan to Pink Out several finds.
I think Betsey Johnson would be pleased!
I was going to take pictures and notes to explain how to attach the electrical cord and chain to the newly pinked-out shade. But, my husband was done by the time I found my phone to take a picture, so, um...next time, ok?

By the way, that light bulb was $4, too. So much for a cheap upcycling thrill.

Grouchiness aside, how's THAT for a girl's room lamp?


And, of course, it's for sale!

Copyright 2013 Tanya Monier


2 comments:

  1. It is crazy how fast little things can add up when upgrading something! At least you can be sure that it would have cost you much more to buy it new. You are also keeping things out of the landfill. Win-Win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buy it from me, Jessica! Then, I really will have a win-win! ;)

    ReplyDelete