Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Decoupaging the Past: WWII

How's your week going? Mine is best embodied by a moment this past Saturday at a craft fair in Tarrytown's Patriot Park. A boy--an Ecuadorian immigrant's kid no more than 10 years old--was about to buy a $2 ($1 for him, cuz he's a kid) resin magnet of Elvis Costello.



This one: GET HAPPY









































Just as I was smiling, "Now THAT'S a cool kid," he dropped Costello and insisted on buying the one of John Hinkley Jr. holding a shotgun.
THIS ONE. Yes, Reagan's would-be assassin.


His mother shrugged and handed over a wrinkled dollar, my happy little customer skipped away, and I had what could be classified as a public meltdown.






Irony is alive and well, Friends.






So, I keep making Art. Or Craft. Whatever. Among other things, WWII (the good, the bad, and the very ugly) has been on my mind, so I started by chopping up a damaged LIFE Magazine celebrating the 30th anniversary of the end of WWII and made magnets using clear resin squares and rectangular jeweler's glass.



Ah, WWII: Pinup girls, factory girls, bombers, vengeance, defiance.

The Art of Paranoia

But don't worry about that right now.... SOLD
 
Oh, how we need those cuffs now.
Action Comics #1, reprint. SOLD

Like Churchill, I'm feeling feisty, ready for a drink,
a smoke (and I don't smoke) and am probably heading
towards a massive stroke. NOT FOR SALE.


I'll show you what else I've been making in a minute. Remember, Friends, keep using your body, your mind, your voice, and your hands.















Copyright 2016, Tanya Monier

No comments:

Post a Comment