Sunday, January 4, 2015

California Road Trip, pt. 3: Salt Me Up

New York in winter: So cold, so leafless, so beautifully inert.

Goodnight, Hudson River. Thanks to Tarrytown's sublime Mary Westerfield for this photo.

But every year, my little crew traverses the continent for a few weeks with our families in California. Oh, Winter California--you lush, green, fertile land; I just hate you.

See what I mean? Ugh, what happened to my Golden State? Thanks for the pic, Friends of the Gaviota Coast.

Don't get me wrong: Christmas in California is always a great time--Grandparents, cousins, and aunties spoil the Badgerettes, we play on beaches, we crow at shivering locals, "You're cold? This isn't cold!" etc., etc.

But for me, the trouble is always the same: bronchitis and sinus infections brought on by being air-dropped into all this spring-like lushness.

Two Christmases ago, my best friend, a sassy little Kiwi named Toni, took my draggy, feverish, phlegmy self to Salt, a spa on State Street in Santa Barbara that features a pink Himalayan salt cave. It was miraculous natural therapy for respiratory infections, she insisted.

 
I rolled my eyes at the cave's New Agey introduction music, but settled in for 45 minutes of "meditation," breathing deeply...probably snoring, in fact.


slider 2
Kick off your shoes, grab a plush blanket, settle down on the recliners or on the pink salt floor,
and wait for the warm lights (behind the salt block walls!) to dim.

The next day, I was breathing notably easier. In three days, I felt good. I think the salt literally cured the bacteria in my lungs and sinuses, brined me like a piece of dried cod or a fine pastrami. I--born-and-bred antibiotic and steroid popper--became a salt convert.

This year's trip began as others did: We landed in glorious San Francisco, excited and fine. Two days later, I was holding my head, groaning, and hawking up wretched loogies by the antique Dutch windmill at the ocean end of Golden Gate Park. Google provided the names of two salt therapy spas in the Bay area. We chose the one nearest to The City (don't you dare call it Frisco, Friends), in the spanking cute little East Bay suburb of Walnut Creek.

Good Move! Elizabeth, the kind, conscientious, and camera-shy proprietor of Salt Spa, took excellent care of us.
Simple, clean, and 100% salted.

Get yer protective booties on before you breathe!

Salt Spa even has a playroom for the small. GREAT idea! 
With a solid layer of pharmaceutical-grade salt in my respiratory tract, I was ready to face the allergen empire that is Sacramento.

All was good until, ambitious badger that I am, I insisted on being present as The Prince of the Forest power-sawed my father's dusty, abandoned collection of fine redwood, purple heart, and maple burl pieces into rounded plates for my future film vase projects.

Stay tuned, you devoted Ukrainian Happy Badger Readers!
For those of you who are not my Allergist, tree pollens (especially evergreens) and dust are my worst allergies. Breathing all that sawdust? Bad Move!

Thank goodness, our next stop was Santa Barbara. On December 26, I crawled back into the cave at Salt. Bless them, they've saved my trip yet again. 

This gorgeous space is the Waiting Room! Dig your toes into the salt, and hope
that you have lots of time before your salt session begins.





While you're waiting, serve yourself a nice cuppa...

Salt's gorgeous gift shop offers salt bars and lamps, crystal jewelry,
salt-laced soaps, books about salt, and even salt that you can eat

Clockwise from left: Salt, Salt, Salt, Salt, Salt, and Salt.

Walking on backlit salt floors. So pretty.

You can get massages in private rooms or join exercise classes in the cave,
but I go for nap--uh, meditation sessions.
If you're in coastal California and suffering from allergies or other respiratory nightmares, do yourself a BIG favor:

Check out these salt therapy spas, and you, too, will understand the immortal lyrics of Mick Jagger, "If you salt me up, I'll never cough!"

That IS what he's singing, right?

Laughter is also good medicine: watch the whole nutty official video of "Start Me Up"



SaltSpa Walnutcreek
1538 Newell Avenue
Walnutcreek, CA 94596
925-280-SALT(7258)
http://saltspawalnutcreek.com/index.html

Salt
740 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
805-963-SALT (7258)
http://saltcavesb.com/


Copyright 2015, Tanya Monier









4 comments:

  1. "Even salt you can eat." Is there any salt you can't eat? Sounds like a good trip. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Jessica, a salt heart that costs $14 is not going in my soup! Most of what I write is ironic nonsense anyway, but thanks for reading it! I really do mean it when I say that Salt helped save this trip, though; the salt therapy helps clear out my lungs like nothing else (and I do have a prescription for EVERYTHING else).
      Happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Those spas seem awesome. I would try it. I know that my sinuses always clear up when I go for a swim in the ocean. It is a little cold for that these days. You should try a neti pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you remind me of what I should have added to the background information: I had sinus surgery in 2006, which made a big positive difference in my life. But even it--and the regular use of NeilMed sinus wash (squeeze bottle--love it, get it over with fast) can't do everything. When gunk gets in my lungs, it stays and makes a nasty long vacation, usually ruining my vacation. So, salt therapy is one MORE natural treatment option, not the only one.

      Thanks for writing!

      Delete